Attention Home Owners: when was the last time you cleaned your smoke alarms (and checked they work properly)? Smoke alarm maintenance and installation should be done by a licensed electrician regularly!
Smoke alarms have a real impact on the safety of you and your family in the case of a fire. According to the Melbourne Fire Brigade, if you don’t have a working smoke alarm installed in your home, and a fire occurs:
- You are 57 per cent more likely to suffer property loss and damage
- You are 26 per cent more likely to suffer serious injuries
- You are four times more likely to die
Smoke alarms need maintenance! The Melbourne Fire Brigade states that all smoke alarms must be tested regularly and be replaced every 10 years. You should have a smoke alarm between each bedroom area and the rest of the house, on each floor of your house, and inside any bedroom where someone sleeps with the door shut.
Our smoke alarm services include cleaning, testing, and installing new smoke alarms to ensure compliance with the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards AS 3786-1993.
Have one of our licensed local electricians come and inspect the smoke alarms in your home to ensure they work and are keeping your family safe.
Attention Landlords and Real Estate Agents: Get peace of mind knowing that the smoke alarms in your rental properties are keeping your tenants safe! Our electricians can service the smoke alarms in your properties to check you are meeting your legal responsibilities when it comes to fire safety.
- Clean smoke detectors and alarm vents (annually)
- Replace smoke alarm batteries (annually)
- Replace faulty or expired smoke detectors with photo-electric smoke alarms (every 10 years or if faulty)
- Install new smoke alarms connected to 240 volt mains power with the addition of a backup battery.
What you should do:
- Test your smoke alarms every month by pressing the test button using a broom handle
- Ensure you have enough smoke alarms and that they are in the right places around your home
- Keep a record of when you last had your smoke alarms serviced or replaced so that you know when to have an electrician come to inspect them again.
- Ensure you are responsible and keeping your family or your tenants safe by following the guidelines for smoke alarm safety.